January 19, 2010

Recovering and Training

One of my running buddies asked me the other day; "What training plan are you using?". I didn't have an answer for him. I didn't know if I was going to run the half-marathon I did this last weekend, so what I've been doing is training to maintain my fitness and not hurt myself. I don't want to go through another "no-running" recovery period.


So I'm just kind of "winging it". Every week I try to fit in one or two interval days, Tuesday through Thursday, a long run Sunday or Monday, a pace run on a non-interval day, several comfortable recovery runs with two days of complete rest, one which I do upper body workout. I'm not going to stress myself to keep up with a training plan, I've done enough of them to know what I need to do. I don't have any goals except to keep running and having fun. I always seem to do better when I quit paying so much attention to specific goals. This week I'm trying to keep it easy until my calves quit whining

Today I went to the outdoor track to run intervals, but I backed off the intensity and number of repeats to a point where I'd be six weeks before a half-marathon, since that is how long until my next half-marathon, 4 x 800m 3:35/3:45/3:40/3:42. The first one was a little too fast, so I intentionally backed off a bit, It felt good to be off the treadmill, but I'm feeling a little pain in the area I injured last year, so maybe I'm not ready for this. I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Let's see. My training plan has me scheduled for a 4 mile barefoot beach run tomorrow. I guess I'll be heading to the Gulf. Trying to keep it fun, I'll be back on Friday. If you don't hear from me, it is because I decided to become a permanent beach bum.

Mileage Stats:

Today: 4 (Intervals) + 4 (Run for fun)
Week: 26
Year: 86

No comments: