November 20, 2007

And I Ran...

















♫ ♫♪ ♪ ♪♫
"I Ran so far away, ay ay,
I just ran, I ran all night and day.
I couldn't get away "
♫ ♫♪ ♪ ♪♫

This business with Iran. Why?

(WARNING: Today's post is not well thought out, it is just a knee jerk reaction to current headlines about the downward direction of this nation)

I don't think The U.S. has the right to control who has whatever weapons they need to protect themselves, or how they generate energy for their infrastructure.

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia, which is a haven for terrorists and Iraqi insurgents, and punishes victims of rape, continues to be an U.S. ally, because they control a major portion of our addiction. In their heads, if a women was raped, she must of caused the men to act that way. The world needs to stop dealing with these primitive cultures that rule in unwritten laws determined from mythical misogynistic writings of ego maniacal men.

The U.S. needs to go into oil consumption rehab, immediately, and stop supporting and rewarding countries that brutilizes it own citizens.

This is going to make me unpopular. I think the way to deal with these barbaric countries, to cut our consumption of foriegn oil, and to pay for the failures of our current executive administration, is to raise the taxes on a gas until the price is ten dollars a gallon. (GASP!) I can easily support this because I, unlike most U.S. citizens, am not dependent on my car. I can do all my shopping, activities, commuting to work, without needing my car. It is surprising the alternatives people can come up with when they are necessary.

I know it won't happen, we are too shallow in this country to support such a moral and ethical plan, the U.S. no longer has a soul. Wealth is more important than human rights.

I could move to Bhutan, and find happiness.

Music: I Ran - Flock of Seagulls


.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We moved a bit rural, but you know we are fortunate to live in a liberal spot where we have alternative fuels...right down the road. And in town is a great public transportation system and wonderful bike lanes and trails...so...we are trying to do our part, too!

Kelly the little black dog said...

Nick, on the surface $10 per gallon gas seems like it would bring about change, but more likely it would just elect another Republican at the next election. The real trouble is that we've designed the need for personal transport into our urban landscape. Most people of limited means have no option but to drive if they want to get to work. While the wealthy can live near where they work, and will always have the money to fill their Hummers. This was the real problem with gore's carbon tax.

Instead I'd propose a form of old fashion rationing, but allow people to sell/trade their allotments, just like carbon credits. That way people could see cash go in to their pockets for NOT driving - rather than cash leaving their pocket FOR driving. I'd also find a way to mandate telecommuting for workers who don't have to be at the office. Start by requiring it one day a week. Even if only half of all white collar workers gave up driving one day a week that might save close to about 5% our current consumption.

And lastly add two modest taxes. One on all vehicles that get under a certain millage rating. Start low and ratchet it up each year. And the second a variable tax on gas itself to be used directly on rebuilding public transport and to help stabilize the fluctuations in the price of gas.

supergirlest said...

wow - i disappear for a minute - ok, for lots of minutes that suddenly became days - and BOOM! for knee jerk, this is one damn fine post. infinity. i'm nodding in agreement. i see the buy nothing day banner below and am even more delighted.

i've missed you. how are you???

Mauigirl said...

I agree with you that I don't understand why the U.S. thinks it has the right to decide for other countries what weapons they can develop. And I like the idea of gas becoming much more expensive. Or rationed, as someone suggested in the comments. In Europe the prices are high enough that people are actually motivated to buy cars that use less gas. Here it doesn't seem to have hit that point yet.