November 2, 2007

Eat Your Meat........

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!

My whole life has been a fight against parents and "friends" trying to force me to eat meat. Yes, I eat meat, but in very small amounts, only a couple of days a week. Even then, it is usually poultry or fish, I cannot stomach the taste of red meat, and the smell of red meat cooking, especially grilling or barbecue, make me nauseous. On Thanksgiving, I have some traditional turkey with my dinner, turkey is one of my favorite meats.

I have tried to go vegetarian, but it is hard for someone has active as I am to get all their nutrition from vegetables, alone. I become severely anemic when I don't eat meat. It is a genetic defect, I blame my mother, who also struggled with anemia.

The place I work announced yesterday that they are replacing the traditional Thanksgiving Luncheon in favor of barbecue. Here in Alabama, as in much of the south, that means pork. I asked, and that is the only thing they will be serving, along with other barbecue sides, like PORK and beans, macaroni and cheese, and other high-fat unhealthy foods. PORK. It even sounds vulgar.

I grew up with a Jewish mother, so pork has always had a bad reputation with me. Then, after I went to go live with a evil Catholic step-mother, I practically had very fatty pork products shoved down my throat, daily. It's no wonder I was sick (asthmatic) all the time.

I have not eaten any pork in more than seven years. I don't plan on changing that, because I'm much healthier now than seven years ago.

So, I respond to the message about our luncheon .......

/* SARCASM on */

BBQ for a Thanksgiving Luncheon. Sounds crazy, no?

But here, in our little village of corporate slaves, you might say every one of us is a humble servant just wanting some turkey on Thanksgiving and trying to scratch out a pleasant, simple life without getting in trouble. It isn't easy. You may ask 'Why do we always eat turkey if there is BBQ?' Well, We eat turkey because its better than BBQ on Thanksgiving.

We need to keep our balance. How do we do that? That I can tell you in one word: TRADITION!

/* SARCASM off */

Not to mention it's much more healthy than BBQ, which in the south is usually PORK --There are good reasons why many cultures avoid pork.

For every additional 1.7 ounces of red meat consumed per day, the risk for cancer rises by 15%.

The recommendation concerning the consumption of processed meats is even more stringent. Processed meats, such as bacon, ham, sausage, and lunch meat, should be avoided entirely; There isn't a level at which the consumption of these products can be reliably considered completely safe. For every 1.7 ounces of processed meat consumed per day, the risk for colorectal cancer rises by 21%.

Read More......

There are good reasons why many cultures avoid pork. It cannot become clean enough to eat.

I will be skipping the luncheon this year - They can go PORK themselves.

I moved the Music Player to the side bar.

Song of the Day - "Patience" - Guns & Roses



.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning!

Can I say that I've been missing doggie Friday? ;-)

As I was reading, I was thinking "well it's simple, I'd just stay home because I don't like big gatherings where I have to stand around and make small talk with people that I hardly know. Just not my thing!"

I think you have made a wise decision. We won't change the world and their eating habits, that's for damn sure! My family and friends always get me to eat meat too. Can I tell you that nobody gets blood drawn as often as I do... so leave me alone with the meat business... ;-)

Enjoy your weekend!

XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you...the anemia...the revulsion of red meat...many think I'm a freak, but I live in the land of granola crunchy people, so fortunately for me there are MANY MANY options of delicious non meat, or if I want, organic, hormone free, antibiotic free chicken and turkey.

My MIL, who btw is a darling, just a product of her generation gets really frustrated when I decline the offer of meat on my plate at her table.

Funny world.

Mauigirl said...

Good for you refusing the pork BBQ. I get very annoyed at my job when they have some kind of shindig like that and serve nothing healthy at all. Even on their good days, there are often no healthy vegetables! They fry them, or serve corn or peas that are really starch, or they have them drenched in oil. Of course there is always salad, but I am not much of a salad eater unless it's a really good fresh salad with garden tomatoes in it.

My previous boss was not only a vegetarian, but a vegan. It was hard for her to find anything to eat at our job at all.

I commend everyone who avoids meat as much as they can. I have the weakness that I love red meat. I basically eat red meat about once a week and the other times either vegetarian or fish. I can skip pork and only eat chicken occasionally because I'm just not that crazy about it, and I figure if I'm not eating red meat I should eat something that actually counteracts its effects - fish.

Anonymous said...

That's great that you don't eat meat often but I am a vegan, very active and anemic and I am getting by just fine.

I don't think that it is fair to not be able to stomach pork and other red meat but think that it is okay to eat other animals like fish and turkey when they have thoughts and feel pain just like you and I do.

I recommend checking out http://www.goveg.com/ for information to help you if you ever want to try to go vegetarian again. They have a lot of great resources that have helped me.

Good luck!

Pam said...

Even the THOUGHT of eating pork makes me want to puke.

BBQ is disgusting too - from the nasty sauce to the meat it's topping.

I think I'd be taking a day off of work that day if I were you ;-).

Anonymous said...

About the comment of 1.7 oz of red meat increasing chances of cancer by 15%...READ the article. It says every 1.7 oz in EXCESS of 18 oz per week. Lets get the whole story here. Personally, I probabally don't eat 18 oz of meat, poultry or fish in a week. I love meat, poultry, and fish, but I just don't eat that much. I have been anemic in the past so I try to get some meat every day...just in moderation. As for the BBQ...Take your own choice of meat for them to cook for you, or something you have already cooked. Don't be a stick in the mud. Let them know your displeasure but go enjoy yourself. Those who made this decision most likely won't miss you if you "just don't go".

FreakyNick said...

anon - That's why I put a link to the article.

Always do your own research.

I offered to pay for a catered turkey, and I was told that this year we a doing a BBQ. It was their way of saying no thanks.

I know I won't be missed, and that's the way I prefer it. No body will be asking why I wasn't there, and i won't have to make up excuses or tell them I don't like their choices.